An Ottawa-area woman who developed an extreme allergic reaction after getting eyelash extensions is warning other ladies about the prospective danger of the trendy esthetic treatment.
Isabelle Edith Kun, a 20-year-old nursing student, living in Ottawa, says she went on Tuesday to get a brand-new set of eyelash extensions put-on. On Thursday, she woke up to find her eyes had swelled almost totally closed.
The friend called her a Lyft to take her to a medical facility.
" They took me right in within seconds when they saw my face. My eyes are swollen both above and under, and my tonsils were apparently really swollen," she says.
Kun has never had an allergy to anything in her life, she says. However, for the last year or two, she had been getting eyelash extensions done every two or 3 weeks, paying $100 or more each time to have an esthetician use the lashes, one at a time, utilizing an adhesive.
When she had the treatment last month, she discovered her eyes ended up being swollen, so she asked for the name brand name of the eyelash adhesive utilized. This time, she says she asked the esthetician if they were still using the same brand, describing she thought she had an allergic reaction to the glue.
Kun says the esthetician replied, "I don't know the name of the glue we utilize; however you ought to be good," and informed her not to stress.
" So I stated alright. I continued with it when I really shouldn't have. I should not have done it when I heard she didn't even understand what glue she was using or what the ingredients were or anything," Kun states.
Within hours, Kun's eyes were inflating much more severely than previously.
By Thursday, she was in a healthcare facility, being administered an antihistamine and steroid intravenously, to attempt to decrease the swelling.
Kun states the swelling hasn't enhanced, but she was sent back home and told to continue with the antihistamine in pill kind to see if her condition gets better.
Kun is stressed that may not happen because she couldn't get the adhesive dropped since her eyes are still too swollen.
" My eyes are even worse now. There's like a sack of fluid under my eye now. It's so gross," she states.
Kun says the beauty bar she went to states on its site that the majority of allergies to eyelash extensions are because of the adhesive. The site advises that, for customers who believe they are sensitive to the adhesives, the hair salon can test for allergies by using a few hairs and seeing what happens.
The majority of eyelash glues are made of instant adhesives called cyanoacrylates. Numerous skin specialists have documented patients who have established mild to extreme allergic reactions to cyanoacrylates, which are also used in "nail wrapping" and other manicure procedures.
Sara Du, the owner of the Sara Beauty health spa that Kun checked out, stated her business is not able to offer allergic reaction testing to every client, but will use it to those who request it.
She declined to comment on Kun's experience or any of her customers, but she said that with any reaction to a beauty service, it's often tough to be sure what triggered a reaction.
Kun states she didn't understand that she might even develop an unexpected allergy and she desires other ladies to learn about the threat and to ensure they ask for an allergic reaction test.
"Also be extremely cautious where you go. These individuals are handling your eyes, with your vision. I suggest, this morning I awakened, and I questioned if I would ever be able to see again," she states.
When it comes to whether she will ever get extensions once again, Kun says she hopes she can.
" I would wish to do them again, but I will be going for allergic reaction testing beforehand because I do like getting false eyelashes."
ALLERGIC REACTIONS TO FAKE EYELASHES GALLERY